Paying & Tipping付款与小费
完整音频预览
0:00
0:00
#1
Hey, David. I just moved here and I'm completely in the dark about local tipping customs.
嘿,大卫。我刚搬到这里,对当地的小费习俗完全一无所知。
#2
Welcome to the city! You've come to the right person—I field questions like this daily.
欢迎来到这座城市!你找对人了——我每天都会处理这类问题。
#3
So here's the thing—I had dinner last night and the bill came to about ninety dollars.
事情是这样的——我昨晚去吃晚餐,账单大约是九十美元。
#4
I left fifteen percent, but the waiter gave me a look that suggested it was insufficient.
我留了百分之十五的小费,但服务生的眼神暗示这并不足够。
#5
Ah, that's a classic pitfall. The customary tip here hovers around eighteen to twenty percent for sit-down restaurants.
啊,那是个典型的陷阱。这里惯例的小费大约落在内用餐厅消费额的百分之十八到二十之间。
#6
That's steeper than what I'm used to. And what if I'm dining with friends and we want to split the bill?
那比我习惯的还要贵。而且如果我和朋友一起用餐,而我们想要分开结帐呢?
#7
Most places will split it across multiple credit cards without batting an eye.
大多数地方都会毫不犹豫地让你们用多张信用卡分开结账。
#8
Just let the server know upfront—it spares everyone the awkwardness of sorting it out afterward.
只要事先告知服务生——这能让每个人都免于事后处理账单的尴尬。
#9
Good to know. One more thing—should I tip on the pre-tax amount or the total including tax?
很有用的信息。还有一件事——我应该按税前金额还是含税总额来给小费?
#10
Technically, tipping on the pre-tax subtotal is perfectly acceptable and, frankly, more defensible.
从技术层面来说,以税前小计金额来给小费是完全可以接受的,而且坦白说,也更站得住脚。
#11
But generous diners often just round up the post-tax total and calculate from there.
但慷慨的食客通常只是将税后总额无条件进位,并以此为基准进行计算。
#12
That actually demystifies the whole process. I was overthinking it, wasn't I?
这实际上揭开了整个过程的神秘面纱。我之前想太多了,对吧?
#13
Not at all—navigating gratuity etiquette in a new culture is genuinely bewildering at first.
一点也不——在新的文化中摸索小费礼仪,起初确实会令人感到困惑。
#14
The cardinal rule is simply this: when in doubt, err on the side of generosity.
首要原则就是:当你感到不确定时,宁可选择慷慨一些。
#15
Wise words. I'll put that into practice tonight. Thanks a million, David.
很有智慧的话。我今晚会付诸实践。万分感谢,大卫。